Thursday, April 29, 2010

$2.25

Tonight, I went to Walgreens to spend my register rewards before they expired. I ended up getting several things and just paying $2.25. Thisis a great place to start if you're wanting to learn how to shop for free.
Basically, this is how it works...A couple of weeks ago, I bought several things at Walgreens totaling roughly $40. I received $17 in register rewards. So, technically, I only spent $33. Register rewards are tickets that print at the register that are worth different dollar amounts. You can then use those tickets (or cats) at Walgreens on items in the store. The trick is to buy things that will give you another register reward. (Tip...you can't use it on the same thing you got it for in the beginning....ie. zyrtec gave me $7 last week and I can't get more zyrtec with that cat and expect to get another one. Does that make sense?)
So, tonight this is what I bought: Stayfree maxi pads $2.99 with $2.99 reg rewards= free. Skintimate shaving cream $2.99 with $2.99 reg reward = free. Sudefed buy two and get $5 in reg rewards. Each was $4.99. I used a buy 2 get $5 off coupon. = Free.

Then I had a coupon for buy one get one free on tampax
so that was 2 for $2.50...oh and I bought a coke. I used my $17 reg rewards from the last trip and left there with $11 in rewards that expire 5/13.
There are so many different places you can find this information that it's a little overwhelming. But I'm having a blast buying things for free! I've been working on sorting all of my coupons and putting them in a binder. I just bought a three ringed binder and baseball card pages. Then I have been alphabetizing them and it's taking me forever. My goal is to shop for two weeks worth of groceries for less tham $100 by the end of the summer. We'll see how that works out!

2 comments:

April S. said...

so where are you getting your coupons you use? i bought a sunday paper a couple of weeks ago and only found like 2 coupons for things i would actually buy. my goal is to save money on things we USE not just to save money....ya know? cause then you really arent saving money? or are you?

tpillstrom said...

We need to get together and I'll show you what all I'm actually doing. I started out buying a couple of lots off of ebay. I don't use them all but I used a lot! You have to be willing to drop brand loyalties on some things and then just watch for when the things you really like are on sale. It's crazy but it's a fun challenge